Resistant Starch Revealed with Richard Nikoley and Tim Steele – Podcast #124
Richard Nikoley is a former Navy officer, successful entrepreneur, and creator of the highly informative blog Free The Animal. He is joined by Tim Steele, aka “Tater Tot” (a nickname hinting at his experimentation with potatoes). Tim has helped the re-emergence of resistance starch as a guest writer on Free The Animal and Dr. Grace Liu’s blog, Animal Pharm.
Click here to download the mp3 of Podcast #124 with Richard Nikoley and Tim Steele
What You’ll Hear
- 0:10 – Cool Fact of the Day!
- 1:11 – Welcome Richard Nikoley
- 2:05 – Welcome Tim Steele aka Tater Tot
- 3:30 – Resistant starch (RS) defined
- 5:26 – Difference between resistant and non-resistant starch
- 13:55 – How does RS affect what is in the gut biome?
- 14:05 – Potato starch as litmus test
- 19:25 – Varying your dose
- 22:15 – Fecal transplant tourism
- 27:15 – Ketosis
- 30:58 – 3 key probiotic brands
- 45:20 – Tim’s personal gut species
- 52:54 – How to raise BDNF (see quick guide below)
- 58:57 – Top three recommendations for kicking more ass and being Bulletproof! We get six in this episode!
Quick Reference Guide
- What is Resistant Starch? – When the starch is not cooked they “resist” digestion and reach the large intestine without being damaged.
- Resistant Starch Types: RS1 (nuts and grains preserved by a shell), RS2 (green bananas and potato starch), RS3 (made from RS2 when it’s cooked and will resist digestion when cooled), RS4 (man-made/synthetic).
- How to Raise BDNF: blueberries, intermittent fasting, exercise, yoga, going in and out of ketosis, and high intensity interval training (HIIT).
FeaturedFree The Animal
Dr. Grace Liu’s Animal Pharm Blog
Doctors Data Comprehensive Stool Anaylsis
Human Microbiome Project
Advanced Orthomolecular Research Probiotic 3
Paul Jaminet’s Perfect Health Diet
Mark Sisson’s Definitive Guide to Resistant Starch
Let Me Google that for You
Primal Defense Ultra
Lactobacillus Plantarum (L Plantarum)
Prescript Assist Probiotic
BulletproofIs there such a thing as a Bulletproof Resistant Starch?
Why Yogurt and Probiotics Make You Fat and Foggy
#117 Uncovering Resistant Starch with Dr. Grace Liu – Podcast
#101 Primal Blueprint with Mark Sisson – Podcast
#47 Biohacking Cows, Bulletproof Dairy, and Probiotics with Natural Health Expert Jordan Rubin – Podcast
Upgraded™ Coconut Charcoal